This weekend I began perfecting my pickling recipes, as the harvesting has begun!
When I was watering the cucumber vines in the backyard, I discovered this little leaf pickling cucumber half buried under the leaves! There’s another in front yard that will be picked this week, and I believe these are both destined for our salads, not pickles. The vines are full of baby cukes, and we’re eagerly awaiting them!
As I have mentioned, the zucchini harvest has begun. This past week we’ve harvested one, but there’s another to pick in a couple of days. The first few zucchini on our vines seem to be falling off, perhaps from lack of fertilization?
I did pickle the zucchini, as well as the yellow squash, and made a tasty bread and butter pickle from the Ball Blue Book. They’re a day old, in the fridge, and delicious already. We didn’t bother getting out the canning equipment, as we know we’ll devour them rapidly.
Here’s the yellow squash right before I picked it. Notice the small one next to it has a flower shriveled up and is rotting at the end. Anyone have suggestions as to what’s going on?
This weekend we also made our first jar of dilly beans (also in the fridge and getting devoured).
Plant nerd that I am, we have 7 different types of green beans, and I think I managed to sort them out. Or at least they look like it so let’s just pretend. These are the tricolor bush bean (green), Tavera (filet), and Provider (feel kinda fuzzy). I’m working on my palate, but they all pretty much taste the same to me. We had the seeds, so I’m looking more at yield and plant health to decide which to plant in the future.
The Burgundy pole beans (ok, the one plant) is yielding a few beans here and there. I think they are the straight ones on the left. Then we have the tricolor bush bean (purple) and Velour (filet). There are also yellow beans from the tricolor mix, but I guess they didn’t make a picture because we only have one variety of yellow bean.
I love the look of fresh dilly beans! Here’s the recipe we used this time.
Today I harvested another large handful of mixed beans, and am thinking these will be eaten fresh.
We also pickled watermelon radishes last week, and I chopped up garlic and put a little too much garlic in it for my taste. I don’t like radishes much to begin with, and the recipe I used was a gentle experiment with lacto-fermination which seemed to make the radish flavor stronger.
These are Tongue of Fire, and they are supposed to be colored inside. I wonder if I picked them too soon, or didn’t let them dry enough. We’re cooking them tonight.
This weekend was a guacamole and salsa making weekend. We harvested the avocados last week (and have a seemly endless supply if we’re able to reach higher into the trees with a ladder) and we had some that were ripe this weekend! The tomatoes were not ours, as we’re still waiting, but our neighbor brought us a bag from his garden. Luckily we’re growing peppers, so salsa was easy to toss together.
I picked four banana peppers. They went in the salsa. (I’m a lightweight when it comes to spicy food.)
And I picked four jalepenos, two of which went into the guacamole. David always deseeds and deveins them so I can handle the heat.
In the back lasagna gardens, I also found this little surprise.
The food we’re getting is already keeping us busy, and it’s just a little bit here and there. We know that soon enough we’ll be harvesting so much that we’ll be giving it away, and we’re ready!