David hit his head when we unfurled the cattle panel, and I scratched up my foot as we placed the arch in place, but we did it!
We like the interesting shape of the arch. We still have to tie the squash up on it, and hopefully they’ll begin climbing on their own. The red kuri already has quite a few baseball sized squashes, so it may be time to sling them up also. Growing squash vertically is new to us, but I read a good article on Pinterest a while back: Make Room for Melons. Oh, and speaking of
being addicted to Pinterest, here’s the thread I found about how to build a cattle panel trellis.
Notice how crazy the squash is getting! You can see the young red kuri squashes near the wall. In the foreground, on the left, is where the acorn squash has been climbing up a tomato cage. This week we realized that the acorn squash is really buttercup!! I don’t know why it took us so long to notice that they weren’t pointy…
It was a bit scary to move the squash out of the way. It’s even scarier holding the vines while tying them to the trellis.
After we had the area ready, David cut the twine from the cattle panel.
David and Rosie posed for this picture right before they both got hit by the unfurling panel. Note to self: there is tension in the rolled up panel and use two people next time.
After we checked that everyone was ok, David and I folded the panel in half and moved it into place. We secured it with zip-ties and voila!
Tomorrow we build the A-frame trellis for the remaining squash and melons!